Anyone else welcoming spring with some detoxing?
Why detox your armpits? Here’s why…
Conventional deodorants and anti-perspirants contain a variety of chemicals and additives. It takes something un-natural to block the body’s natural ability to sweat, and the chemical list in some deodorants is impressive:
• Aluminum– some evidence links aluminum to cancer and Alzheimer’s Disease
• Phthalates– Endocrine disruptors often also found in plastic that can cause hormone imbalance and even infertility
• Propylene glycol– common name: antifreeze. It is a hotly debated additive in personal care products but the Environmental Working Group reports that it carries a moderate risk of immunotoxicity and allergies.
• Formaldehyde- a known carcinogen… guess it kills the germs though.
• Parabens- Another hormone disruptor and parabens have been found in biopsied tissue with breast cancer (save your Tatas !!)
• Antibacterial Substances-they are endocrine disruptors and can negatively affect the immune system
Why is this a big deal? Ever gotten sick and had a lump in your neck or armpit? That is a lymph node and they are a major part of your immune system. Putting endocrine disruption chemicals directly on top of them is a great way to screw up your hormones and suppress immune function.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and what touches our skin can easily enter our bloodstream. With skyrocketing rates of breast cancer, it would seem prudent to avoid these chemicals.
A great advantage to doing an armpit detox, besides that it helps speed up the natural deodorant adjustment period, is that it might help pull some of these chemicals out of the skin and tissue of the armpits. This can be especially helpful after years of conventional deodorant use.
After detoxing I have less sweat and stink !! Detoxing is a process, so even though I switched to deodorant that a trust years ago, I still find it helpful to do a good detox a couple times a year.